iPhone announced

Gomi

The Dirty Smuggler/Agent
Source
iPod + Phone + Internet

dsc_0236.jpg

They make the coolest shit, I want one and I don't even use the phone much at all lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gomi @ Jan 10 2007, 05:29 AM) [snapback]138813[/snapback][/center]
Source
iPod + Phone + Internet
[/b]
Yeah. My sidekick does all that too.
So does the treo and just about everyone else's smart phones.
But the iPhone is shiny.

Gimme a phone that will park my car and do my laundry.
Then I might be impressed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Madrigal @ Jan 9 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]138839[/snapback][/center]
Yeah. My sidekick does all that too.
So does the treo and just about everyone else's smart phones.
But the iPhone is shiny.

Gimme a phone that will park my car and do my laundry.
Then I might be impressed.
[/b]

Well, let's be a little more honest about it. Sidekick's camera is 640x480 (300 Kpixels), no? The iPhone has a 2 Mpixel camera (7 times better resolution). The Sidekick uses T-Mobile, which in all honesty has awful coverage, iPhone has Cingular, far superior service. iPhone's screen blows the Sidekick's away (iPhone has a 3.5" screen, 160 ppi, and is only 11mm thick), iPhone has Wireless connectivity through WiFi and Bluetooth, the Sidekick has none. Not to mention the base model holds 4GB worth of music.

If you want to knock the iPhone, then knock it for the price. $499 is a LOT for a new tech toy (and that is just the base model), but comparing it to the other devices is just silly, the iPhone blows them away.

Great, more functions to the phone. I have Siemens with nothing but the phone... Maybe a couple of games. I really don't care what it has as long as the phone works fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 9 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]138875[/snapback][/center]
Well, let's be a little more honest about it. Sidekick's camera is 640x480 (300 Kpixels), no? The iPhone has a 2 Mpixel camera (7 times better resolution). The Sidekick uses T-Mobile, which in all honesty has awful coverage, iPhone has Cingular, far superior service. iPhone's screen blows the Sidekick's away (iPhone has a 3.5" screen, 160 ppi, and is only 11mm thick), iPhone has Wireless connectivity through WiFi and Bluetooth, the Sidekick has none. Not to mention the base model holds 4GB worth of music.

If you want to knock the iPhone, then knock it for the price. $499 is a LOT for a new tech toy (and that is just the base model), but comparing it to the other devices is just silly, the iPhone blows them away.
[/b]

My phone is almost identical dimension wise. It also has wifi, bluetooth, Web. It doesn't have a touch screen, only has 2GB worth of flash memory, and only a 1.3 Mpixel camera. It's price is 200 bucks and there is a ton of software for it. I think I'll keep it.

What I want to know is: How well does the screen work outside and is it as "scratch resistant" as the ipod?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gomi @ Jan 9 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]138892[/snapback][/center]
My phone is almost identical dimension wise. It also has wifi, bluetooth, Web. It doesn't have a touch screen, only has 2GB worth of flash memory, and only a 1.3 Mpixel camera. It's price is 200 bucks and there is a ton of software for it. I think I'll keep it.
[/b]

Again, that device is not an MP3 player, you still are settling for T-Mobile service as opposed to Cingular, the screen is tiny in comparison, and the resoultion doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone. (Oh and the dash is really $350 retail) Not to mention the iPhone can be used landscape or portrait for visual use. Again, from a pure hardware standpoint, nothing touches the iPhone, but, how many folks are going to shell out $400-$500 for it? I know I won't. It is almost the PS3 of mobile devices...*fears Banana's wrath*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gomi @ Jan 9 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]138892[/snapback][/center]
What I want to know is: How well does the screen work outside and is it as "scratch resistant" as the ipod?
[/b]

Actually, I would be more concerned about how fragile the screen is. I mean look at the PSP, gorgeous screen but don't ever drop it. I can see the same thing happening with this guy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 9 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]138895[/snapback][/center]
Again, that device is not an MP3 player, you still are settling for T-Mobile service as opposed to Cingular, the screen is tiny in comparison, and the resoultion doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone. (Oh and the dash is really $350 retail) Not to mention the iPhone can be used landscape or portrait for visual use. Again, from a pure hardware standpoint, nothing touches the iPhone, but, how many folks are going to shell out $400-$500 for it? I know I won't. It is almost the PS3 of mobile devices...*fears Banana's wrath*
Actually, I would be more concerned about how fragile the screen is. I mean look at the PSP, gorgeous screen but don't ever drop it. I can see the same thing happening with this guy.
[/b]
It plays MP3s but I have an 80GB ipod for that.

In the Augusta area T-Mobile has better coverage..seriously.

Can't argue with that

My point was I have a phone that is very similar for less than half the price.
And with rumors that the iPhone will not allow people to install applications on it (which I do find hard to believe) I see your prediction coming true.

If they made the screen out of the same material as the ipod companies are going to make a fortune selling cases and protectors for both products. You would thinks someone would spray the scratch resistant coating that is put on eyeglasses on them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gomi @ Jan 10 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]138908[/snapback][/center]
It plays MP3s but I have an 80GB ipod for that.

In the Augusta area T-Mobile has better coverage..seriously.

Can't argue with that

My point was I have a phone that is very similar for less than half the price.
And with rumors that the iPhone will not allow people to install applications on it (which I do find hard to believe) I see your prediction coming true.

If they made the screen out of the same material as the ipod companies are going to make a fortune selling cases and protectors for both products. You would thinks someone would spray the scratch resistant coating that is put on eyeglasses on them.
[/b]

T-Mobile has good coverage down there? Seriously? It must be a northeast thing then, cause anywhere up here T-Mobile's coverage is absymal. I was a HUGE fan of the Sidekick for years when it first came out until I started seeing how little places it could be used as an actual phone.

Yeah, like I said the price is the major disadvantage of that thing, again that's why it sort of reminded me of the PS3.

And if the iPhone has scratching problems (it's a touch screen, I can't see it being an issue) or just general fragile-ness problems than it will not sell. Oh, I would be shocked if Apple released that thing wothout being able to upload software to it, that would be very, very, very stupid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Jan 10 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]138875[/snapback][/center]

[/b]
Hehe. I'm still not impressed.

Yes, the sidekick's camera sucks ass. It's barely useful. But sticking a 2mp camera on your phone and calling it "groundbreaking" is typical Apple. Pay more for less because it looks good. Everything that the iPhone does, there is another piece of equipment out there that does it much better for much less. The iPhone is just a step up from the sidekick and a step sideways from a treo. Also, the sidekick does have wireless and bluetooth. I can do nearly anything with the sidekick that I would do with the iPhone, except perhaps watch tiny movies. But that's fine because I have a TV for that. Besides, I need a real keypad, not a touch screen.

I think Apple's biggest mistake with this phone is limiting it to Cingular service. Unlike the iPod where anyone could buy one and use it, the iPhone requires you to sign up with a specific service. A lot of people are not going to be willing to fork over the $250 to cancel their current contract just to get an iPhone. Therefore, I doubt it will take off like many people are anticipating. They've limited their market.

The question is, are people willing to invest up to $850 just to have an iPhone (let alone the cost of service)? Steve Jobs can ask Sony about that. Because I'm not. If Apple would have gone more universal with this, then I might call it a world-beater. But as it is, I'd call it a test product for a more universal iPhone II.

However, the big news for me was AppleTV. Now that's groundbreaking. It kind of went under the radar due to the iPhone announcement. But I'm interested to see how that delicious morsel of technology develops. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Madrigal @ Jan 10 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]138934[/snapback][/center]
However, the big news for me was AppleTV. Now that's groundbreaking. It kind of went under the radar due to the iPhone announcement. But I'm interested to see how that delicious morsel of technology develops. :)
[/b]

Not really

I'm so glad my Cingular contract expires in June. The most I've ever spent on a cell phone was $500. I'm definitely getting this one, the 8Gb version

Back