Then & Now

Artica

Imperial Kitten
Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1973: Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his

car and gets his to show Jack.

2006: School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and

never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized

students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1973: Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best

friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006: Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge

them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1973: Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits

still in class.

2006: Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets

extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him

a whipping.

1973: Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college,

and becomes a successful businessman.

2006: Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care

and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she

remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has

affair with psychologist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1973: Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006: Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car

and locker searched for drugs and weapons.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mary turns up pregnant.

1973: 5 High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a special

school for expectant mothers.

2006: Middle School Counselor calls Planned Parenthood, who notifies the

ACLU. Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion without her

parent's consent or knowledge. Mary given condoms and told to be more

careful next time.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1973: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2006: Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English

as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit

against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from

core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a

living because he can't speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July,

puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1973: Ants die.

2006: BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic

terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers

confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed

to fly again.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee.

He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary,hugs him to comfort him.

1973: In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006: Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.

She faces 3 years in State Prison.

So sad yet so true. Gotta love this fucked up world that we live in. Though I mainly think it is the US's problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ColdIce @ Nov 30 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]135222[/snapback][/center]
So sad yet so true. Gotta love this fucked up world that we live in. Though I mainly think it is the US's problem.
[/b]
Yep US only :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ColdIce @ Nov 30 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]135222[/snapback][/center]
[/b]

It's more wide-spread.

Growing up, my parents could leave me alone because a) there weren't the creeps out there and B) other parents would "parent me" if I was doing something wrong. A neighbourhood raised a child in a sense...

Now society has changed where that doesn't occur. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Dec 1 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]135310[/snapback][/center]
It does happens in other countries, but not to the same extent (or extreme).
[/b]
*Nods in agreement* Not as common, and not as extreme, but it happens...
Also, the violence today is not really more common then before, it's just more violent from what I've heard.

Man, i'd do anything to go back to my freshman year in high school and have my hot 23 year old bio teacher hug me closely

U.S is teh suck. I am moving Canada and starting a maple syrup company. from there I will sponsor a curling team. I would lead a happy life and be married with children. A jealous curling team will kill me at the age of 67.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Dec 1 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]135220[/snapback][/center]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee.

He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary,hugs him to comfort him.
1973: In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006: Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.

She faces 3 years in State Prison.
[/b]

Dont forget, if he fell while playing tag, the school will then ban playing tag on school property.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edhina @ Dec 5 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]135692[/snapback][/center]
Dont forget, if he fell while playing tag, the school will then ban playing tag on school property.
[/b]

banning tag woud be too difficult to carry out. They'd just ban recess then complain cause kids are overwieght and then sue McDonald's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rergface @ Dec 5 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]135693[/snapback][/center]
banning tag woud be too difficult to carry out. They'd just ban recess then complain cause kids are overwieght and then sue McDonald's
[/b]
and while driving to their lawyers, spill their coffee on their lap, thus sueing Starbucks because *gasp*
the coffee was HOT!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shaggz1297 @ Dec 4 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]135705[/snapback][/center]
and while driving to their lawyers, spill their coffee on their lap, thus sueing Starbucks because *gasp*
the coffee was HOT!!
[/b]
America, Land of the Free and Delicate people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Dec 6 2006, 04:49 AM) [snapback]135782[/snapback][/center]
America, Land of the Free and Delicate people.
[/b]
if a kid runs in the street, where the parents at to whoop his ass? inside watching Desprate Housewives...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shaggz1297 @ Dec 5 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]135790[/snapback][/center]
if a kid runs in the street, where the parents at to whoop his ass? inside watching Desprate Housewives...
[/b]
:blink:

it's rather depressing. but the question you have to ask yourself is when did all this start? cause I have to be honest. Not only in 1973 did simple solutions present themselves growing up in the80's and early 90's did as well. And if we can identify where it started maybe we can reverse trends or atleast have a better understanding to stop the ridiculous behavior we see now by both parents, educators, lawmakers and the kids.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ker-ri @ Dec 5 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]135819[/snapback][/center]
it's rather depressing. but the question you have to ask yourself is when did all this start? cause I have to be honest. Not only in 1973 did simple solutions present themselves growing up in the80's and early 90's did as well. And if we can identify where it started maybe we can reverse trends or atleast have a better understanding to stop the ridiculous behavior we see now by both parents, educators, lawmakers and the kids.
[/b]
When people discovered that through law you can get money without working. *giggle* You can practically sue anyone this days.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Dec 6 2006, 06:29 AM) [snapback]135822[/snapback][/center]
When people discovered that through law you can get money without working. *giggle* You can practically sue anyone this days.
[/b]

right i got that one :p but it still blows my mind when did parents stop parenting? who said it was okay to drug our kids? who allowed the sham of "special education" to get 'cart blanche' to as much money as they want? who said teachers weren't allowed to care anymore? who allowed bullying to keep growing to a point where someone wants to destroy a school? Maybe it's all of us.....who knows.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ker-ri @ Dec 5 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]135826[/snapback][/center]
right i got that one :p but it still blows my mind when did parents stop parenting? who said it was okay to drug our kids? who allowed the sham of "special education" to get 'cart blanche' to as much money as they want? who said teachers weren't allowed to care anymore? who allowed bullying to keep growing to a point where someone wants to destroy a school? Maybe it's all of us.....who knows.
[/b]
At least we can do something about it, by teaching to our children. ^_^

And hope for a better future.

Back