PlayStation 3 Lacks Upscaler to 1080i

Ouchies... I was also told that ps3 doesn't come with the HD cables, those are $100 extra. Is that a rumor? I'd hope so, yeesh.

Looks confirmed...

PS3 Downscales 720p on Incapable TVs If your TV doesn't support a specific resolution, expect to go low-res. by Jeremy Dunham showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : ''); November 15, 2006 - As final PlayStation 3 units continue to trickle into more and more hands, additional details about how the system works and what it can and can't do are hitting the web. The latest (rather major) tidbit is how the console treats the upscaling and downscaling of 720p titles on televisions that don't support that resolution -- specifically those that are only 1080i capable.

As it turns out, gamers who own older HD sets that feature only 480i, 480p, and 1080i resolution input capabilities will have to settle for the display quality being downsized as the game boots in its 480p mode rather than upscaling the image from its more desirable 720p mode to the TV's 1080i. We tested this development on older HDTV sets with games designed for 720p but not 1080i -- Resistance: Fall of Man, NHL 2K7, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07, and Need for Speed Carbon. Sure enough, the system downshifted all four titles to 480p rather than moving up to 1080i. This issue came up with either a digital HD video connection (using an HDMI cord) and an analog HD video connection (using component cables.)

The PlayStation 3's competitor, Microsoft's Xbox 360, does upscale 720p games to 1080i if the HD set supports the latter resolution but not the in-between and commonly-employed 720p resolution.

IGN contacted Sony representatives for comment regarding this feature, but SCEA spokespeople have yet to return our phone calls as we went to press (we'll update this story when they do). It is not known yet if this is purely a software issue or a deeper technical problem and whether or not this lack of upscaling might be resolved on launch PS3 systems in future updates of the hardware via downloadable firmware patches.

For the laymen, 720p is a high-definition format that offers a complete 720-pixel line frame on the screen at 24 to 60 frames per second (progressive), while the 1080i signal is presented as two 540-pixel fields that when displayed back to back look like a complete image (interlaced). The difference being that a 720p picture offers quicker refresh rates while 1080i offers more detail with stationary imagery. The maximum resolution of the PlayStation 3 (and currently the maximum for available HDTV sets) is 1080p. It is thus capable of displaying all major standard-definition and high-definition video outputs wherever HD standards are employed (in PS3 games and Blu-Ray Movies, most commonly), but as has already been reported about PS1/PS2 games and DVD playback, it does not currently upscale any lower resolution images to higher image standards.

Thanks go out to our readers at the IGN message boards for bringing this to our attention.

[/b]

Source...

Oh, just so everyone knows as well. There is no real way to notice the difference between 720 and 1080 resolution on any screen 50" and smaller. The TV has to be MINIMUM 50" to even begin to physically see any difference between a 720 image and a 1080 image.

So, I do not understand why everybody is so hyped up on 1080, 95-99% of the TV owners won't be able to see it anyways.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Nov 17 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]133508[/snapback][/center]
Oh, just so everyone knows as well. There is no real way to notice the difference between 720 and 1080 resolution on any screen 50" and smaller. The TV has to be MINIMUM 50" to even begin to physically see any difference between a 720 image and a 1080 image.

So, I do not understand why everybody is so hyped up on 1080, 95-99% of the TV owners won't be able to see it anyways. [/b]

Because apparently from what I have seen it doesn't scale properly and looks "like a blurry mess" I believe was one of the quotes out of Prod's link.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timi @ Nov 17 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]133511[/snapback][/center]
Because apparently from what I have seen it doesn't scale properly and looks "like a blurry mess" I believe was one of the quotes out of Prod's link.
[/b]

Actually it is because you can not physically fit 1080 lines on a widescreen TV that is smaller than ~50" diagonal. Nothing to do with scaling or anything, it is a physical limitation. You can run 1080 resolution on a <50" TV, but you not get any more lines of resolution than you would from a 720 image, thus there is no physical way of telling the two apart.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Nov 17 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]133512[/snapback][/center]
Actually it is because you can not physically fit 1080 lines on a widescreen TV that is smaller than ~50" diagonal. Nothing to do with scaling or anything, it is a physical limitation. You can run 1080 resolution on a <50" TV, but you not get any more lines of resolution than you would from a 720 image, thus there is no physical way of telling the two apart.
[/b]
He has a point... why are we discussing this again?

isnt the point that it infact downscales to 480p?

i probably read it wrong so if im talking shit nm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Nov 17 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]133521[/snapback][/center]
isnt the point that it infact downscales to 480p?

i probably read it wrong so if im talking shit nm
[/b]
*shrug*

The PS3 can support 1080 Progressive, which is better than 1080 interlaced .

Hense it can support every HD Pixel in the broadcast, or game. As the console is less than a week old, lets just leave it to the systems engineers who will definitely be working their asses off to get a new build of the PS3 OS out to customers ASAP.

Let me remind you not every game support 1080i/p most are standard HD 720, and some may only provide a regional 420, but things are changing I'd say this is a launch problem only.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tavasha @ Nov 17 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]133467[/snapback][/center]
Ouchies... I was also told that ps3 doesn't come with the HD cables, those are $100 extra. Is that a rumor? I'd hope so, yeesh.
[/b]

The PS3 60 gig model comes with a HDMI cable. The 20 gig has a cable, but its not HDMI. The HDMI cable is not retailing at $100, but I can't get exact figures as I am nothing to do with SCEA.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Nov 17 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]133552[/snapback][/center]
The PS3 can support 1080 Progressive, which is better than 1080 interlaced .

Hense it can support every HD Pixel in the broadcast, or game. As the console is less than a week old, lets just leave it to the systems engineers who will definitely be working their asses off to get a new build of the PS3 OS out to customers ASAP.

Let me remind you not every game support 1080i/p most are standard HD 720, and some may only provide a regional 420, but things are changing I'd say this is a launch problem only.
The PS3 60 gig model comes with a HDMI cable. The 20 gig has a cable, but its not HDMI. The HDMI cable is not retailing at $100, but I can't get exact figures as I am nothing to do with SCEA.
[/b]

PS3 HDMI cable = $100

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Nov 17 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]133560[/snapback][/center]

All I can say is thats bad shit.

On a second thought I didn't know the type of cable, I will now outline, why its $100:

* Duraflex protective jacket provides greater durability and easier installation; complements the high-tech look of your PLAYSTATION 3.
* Dual strain reliefs prevent damage from repeated setup and teardown of PLAYSTATION 3 connections.
* High-conductivity connections for optimum transfer of delicate low-level signals.
* 24k gold contact Turbine connectors provide greater contact pressure for improved conductivity and maximum signal transfer.
* 10ft. Cable

HDR_Game_PS3_HDMI_G4cl.jpg

Basic HDMI Cables are CHEAP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tavasha @ Nov 17 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]133583[/snapback][/center]
I like the visual aid. ^_^
[/b]

No lube either! You need to pay an extra $100 for it lolol

Back