Online degrees?

G

Does anyone have any opinion on online degrees from reputable colleges and if they are considered by employers to be just as good as the equivalent brick-and-mortar degree from that same college. (I'm talking about online degrees with a real college, not like University of Pheonix or those "degrees with no classes required" you see on web page banners)

The program I want to do is a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering at Drexel. Basically you take the same amount of classes but skip some of the crap that a regular grad student would do like a masters thesis or research of any kind. You basically just do your 45 credits worth of classes in a year or two and get your degree.

I really am not the type of person who likes college or is worried so much about the learning experience itself, so basically I just want to be able to say on my resume I have a masters degree from a nice college. And I've kind of learned so far in life that you can get away with doing things like just putting down "Masters Degree from Drexel" on your resume without even mentioning the online part unless they asked. But if they do ask about that, do employers even think it is not as good?

I take it you're talking about studying 'from a distance', ie online and not having to attend to a class but studying at home (only meet up a couple of times in a whole semester).

I think it might work rather different in Sweden from over there when it comes to collages and such, so I can't say I know. But we do have a lot of 'online classes' (called study at distance) and they are just as equivalent as any other class :)

Does anyone have any opinion on online degrees from reputable colleges and if they are considered by employers to be just as good as the equivalent brick-and-mortar degree from that same college. (I'm talking about online degrees with a real college, not like University of Pheonix or those "degrees with no classes required" you see on web page banners)

The program I want to do is a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering at Drexel. Basically you take the same amount of classes but skip some of the crap that a regular grad student would do like a masters thesis or research of any kind. You basically just do your 45 credits worth of classes in a year or two and get your degree.

I really am not the type of person who likes college or is worried so much about the learning experience itself, so basically I just want to be able to say on my resume I have a masters degree from a nice college. And I've kind of learned so far in life that you can get away with doing things like just putting down "Masters Degree from Drexel" on your resume without even mentioning the online part unless they asked. But if they do ask about that, do employers even think it is not as good?

University of Phoenix Online is an actual college. It's expensive, but you do take accredited classes that can transfer to other schools, and the degree is accredited. Now I don't recommend it as I think it's insanely overpriced, but it is legitimate.

If you research the school and verify that it's accredited, you'll be fine. Don't worry about what companies will think as you don't tell them "Drexel Online" you say I have a Master's Degree from Drexel. I'm kind of the same as you. I did a LOT of my education from online experiences. (Was actually trying to get a degree from Umass online at UTC before I quit). It's quite nice as you can study at your own pace, and get what you want out of it instead of dealing with classroom politics. Granted, I still recommend attending a class or two in your lifetime just to get the experience, but I prefer long-distance-education.

Also, when you're researching check to see if you can take exams at home or not. Many schools require that you have "proctored" exams. I had one of these and didn't realize it till I had already enrolled in the course. It's a pain to find a legitimate official proctor.

But yes, online college is JUST as legitimate as going to an actual physical college. As long as you do your research ahead of time.

One of my best friends is doing the University of Phoenix program. He had to drop out of a brick-and-mortar university cause he was getting his commercial piloting license but he transferred into the University of Phoenix online program and he can now do both. The only downside I think is that he has classes year round. His degree will be considered "accredited"

Heh yeah, I had more than my fill of in person classes from going to Drexel for my bachelors degree. I live 45 minutes from campus, I just don't want to deal with commuting and being at classes on time every week. I just did some research though and it seems you are right about online and in-person being indistinguishable to employers. Even the diploma does not mention the online thing.
Thanks for the good advice Tivvy!

BTW Hippo* your sig is wrong. It says "Rebel guilds destroyed by Zippy:". The entire wanderhome server isn't a guild and they are most certainly are not all rebel. :p

Id go to a University if you can afford it, fucking Community college sucks.

Yeah I went to a university for my bachelors degree and had like $80,000 student loan debts :(

lol yeah that fucking sucks dude, the good part about CC is it's cheap but the bad part is it feels like im in high school.

I love the fact that my CC is a really good school and not grade 13... I plan on taking some of my courses online for my degree. I'm pretty sure the degree wont say anything different because you took the classes online.

yeah it doesn't say anything different it counts as normal classes, yeah my CC sucks balls and I was gonna transfer to a University next year but I can take my law enforcement classes at this CC for 2 years and spend about 1/4th the money I would spend on the university I was gonna go to. plus it wont take me 4 years

Some CC's are definitely better than others and there are even a few that will put you at the front of the line when transferring to a 4 yr school. They can be a great back door into a prestigious university.

For instance, I went to a variety of CC's over 4 years, got my GE done, then transferred to UC Berkeley for 2 more years (I was a C student in high school). My diploma shows a only a bachelor's degree from UC Berkeley, not the meandering way in which I got it. And that piece of paper has been worth more money than I could have imagined.

It may work the same for online courses. Check with Drexel and find out how the diploma is going to read. If it's different for online study, then I would definitely bite the bullet and sit in the classroom. Yeah, it might cost more, be totally inconvenient, and the education may be the same, but you want the real diploma. Especially if it's Drexel. Because the difference could be worth a ton of money over the years.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
yeah dude I was def a C student in highschool and this first semester I was too because to behonest I really didnt give a shit lol.

Back