Stock Market - Online Companies

Darein

Retired SWG Bounty Hunter
My dad is going to hook me up with just enough to get started buying some stocks online, but I'm trying to decide what company to go with. He recommended Scottrade, but I was wondering about E*Trade, or possibly other companies as well.

I want to find a trading company that is cheap, but gives me some good bang for my buck. I don't need lots of extra features, just the basics. If it's over $10 per trade, that isn't in my budget.

So please, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Or at least part ears. Well, I have two of them... you know what I mean! Help meh

Ameritrade. and if you want my advice, don't trade. The market will drop to 5000. I've been trading for a while now and this is a sellers market. Unless you know what you're doing to short sell on hunches and get hit with Capital Gains Taxes, then don't trade right now.

If you want to invest smart, open up a Roth IRA and buy stocks with that. You won't be able to touch it until you're 59.5 years old but by then the market will be much better and you will have a really good chunk of cash since everything is so cheap and low. Some stocks for your Roth IRA: Citigroup, Ford, GE, AIG. Just imagine, you buy 1000 shares of Ford for $2 and by the time you're 60 it'll probably be at $50. That's a big ass gain for retirement.

Buy Intel stocks. They're pretty much on sale right now. Other companies with their stock in the shitter might run out of business, but I can assure you that Intel isn't going anywhere.

Citigroup isn't going anywhere, and $11 a share is a steal. Same with Ford at $2 a share. They're gonna be at $5 next year at this time.

Ameritrade. and if you want my advice, don't trade. The market will drop to 5000. I've been trading for a while now and this is a sellers market. Unless you know what you're doing to short sell on hunches and get hit with Capital Gains Taxes, then don't trade right now.

If you want to invest smart, open up a Roth IRA and buy stocks with that. You won't be able to touch it until you're 59.5 years old but by then the market will be much better and you will have a really good chunk of cash since everything is so cheap and low. Some stocks for your Roth IRA: Citigroup, Ford, GE, AIG. Just imagine, you buy 1000 shares of Ford for $2 and by the time you're 60 it'll probably be at $50. That's a big ass gain for retirement.

well, yeah, there is definitely a second floor coming, but I would argue that there are some great buys out there right now, and I think it is going to be a buyers market very soon (if not already). Not that I am suggesting to wait for the second floor (no one ever predicts the "how low" and the "when" correctly), what I am saying is get your money ready to move soon, and look into some of the banks (Banc of America, for example), they offer online services for both banking and investments without any monthly fees.

Buy Intel stocks. They're pretty much on sale right now. Other companies with their stock in the shitter might run out of business, but I can assure you that Intel isn't going anywhere.

Just saw this, yeah, in my opinion (don't listen to a Wookiee for financial advice) this is one of those companies that are good buys right now.

this is one of those companies that are good buys right now.
And you really have to be careful about good buys.

A month or two ago I was talking to my Bria guildmates on ventrilo and one was talking about buying WaMu stock because it was only like a dollar or two per share. I told him I didn't think it was that good of an idea.

The next week WaMu tanked and the stock was devalued. Not sure if he did buy the stock, but any money he would've put in was lost.

Last edited:
And you really have to be careful about good buys.

A month or two ago I was talking to my Bria guildmates on ventrilo and one was talking about buying WaMu stock because it was only like a dollar or two per share. I told him I didn't think it was that good of an idea.

The next week WaMu tanked and the stock was devalued. Not sure if he did buy the stock, but any money he would've put in was lost.

That's probably why truly smart investors say folks like us (small time investors) shouldn't buy individual stocks, ever. We should look into buying mutual funds, ETFs and the like.

But there are times I do like to take risks...I am a gambler at heart. I just wish investing was more like NFL lines. /sigh

Back