Crazy PS3 lines

G

So I was cruising around my hometown tonight and saw gigantic lines of people outside Best Buys, Target, Wal Mart and Circuit City. Target and Best buy were the craziest with at least 50 people each with dozens of tents pitched up. Apparently many of them had been there since wednesday. I could never be that patient; I could wait an hour tops.

Afterwards I stopped at WAWA for a milkshake, and some dude in the parking lot was honking his horn and screaming "I love anal sex and Dungeons and Dragons!!!" All the freaks are out tonight....

at least the lines nationwide prove all the ps3 naysayers wrong when they said it was gonna flop cause nobody was gonna buy it due to its price

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Nov 16 2006, 11:34 PM) [snapback]133449[/snapback][/center]
at least the lines nationwide prove all the ps3 naysayers wrong when they said it was gonna flop cause nobody was gonna buy it due to its price
[/b]
I don't think this means anything to the 'console war' as a whole. The people lined up have no lives, and would have paid twice as much for it. Same thing for the Wii launch, all the people in line will be the fanboys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Nov 17 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]133453[/snapback][/center]
I wish Wii had more to offer those waiting in lines. :lol:
[/b]
Like more units? :)

I've seen some long Wii preorder lines. Not for the console, but for a chit that lets you buy one when it comes out.

The only differences I've noticed between Wii lines and PS3 lines have been average age (Wii lines are noticably older, fewer teenagers), orderliness (fewer shootings at Wii lines), and less uncontrolled drooling.

I plan to check out the Wii lines at stores Sat night. I doubt they will be as crazy as the PS3 lines.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Nov 16 2006, 11:34 PM) [snapback]133449[/snapback][/center]
at least the lines nationwide prove all the ps3 naysayers wrong when they said it was gonna flop cause nobody was gonna buy it due to its price [/b]

Meh, I saw longer lines for Halo 2...doesn't really prove anything.

[/b]
I don't know if it really proves anything. The supply was so limited that most stores got at max 15 units. (I was in the Wal-Mart earlier in the day and overheard the workers joking about how the campers would be screwed because they were supposed to get in 14 but they only had 4...heh.) So say in a good sized suburban area like mine where you have like 150,000 population; across all the stores you have a total of maybe 150 units available to this whole population. Of course among all these people you're gonna find 150 super fanboys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Nov 17 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]133453[/snapback][/center]
I wish Wii had more to offer those waiting in lines. :lol:
[/b]

You know, I have kept my mouth shut for the most part about the console war for a while now. Please let's not get stupid, okay?

There still is plenty of time to talk about unit sales when we can compare epeen sizes in Janurary, as suggested earlier.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hippo @ Nov 17 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]133502[/snapback][/center]
I don't know if it really proves anything. The supply was so limited that most stores got at max 15 units. (I was in the Wal-Mart earlier in the day and overheard the workers joking about how the campers would be screwed because they were supposed to get in 14 but they only had 4...heh.) So say in a good sized suburban area like mine where you have like 150,000 population; across all the stores you have a total of maybe 150 units available to this whole population. Of course among all these people you're gonna find 150 super fanboys.
[/b]
There are supposed to be 400,000 for the whole US. That's not enough, of course there is gonna be disappointed people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 17 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]133515[/snapback][/center]
There are supposed to be 400,000 for the whole US. That's not enough, of course there is gonna be disappointed people.
[/b]
Yeah well still I don't think the lines prove anything about the demand. The funny thing is I don't think a lot of the people in line even want the system. On some local news show here they were talking to a bunch of campers at different stores and a lot of them said they were just there to sell it on ebay for 2 grand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hippo @ Nov 17 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]133526[/snapback][/center]
Yeah well still I don't think the lines prove anything about the demand. The funny thing is I don't think a lot of the people in line even want the system. On some local news show here they were talking to a bunch of campers at different stores and a lot of them said they were just there to sell it on ebay for 2 grand.
[/b]
Yeah the demand will come later when the Top games come out. :p Right now, is like... WHO CARES?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Nov 17 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]133527[/snapback][/center]
Yeah the demand will come later when the Top games come out. :p Right now, is like... WHO CARES?
[/b]
Yeah the launch titles suck for these systems this time. The only thing that looks remotely interesting on PS3 is that FPS whatever it's called, but it doesn't look like anything special. I'll admit when MGS4 and FF13 come out I might be tempted to break out the wallet...we'll see :p

Wii doesn't have a great lineup either. I think I'll still pick it up at launch though because its not so expensive and at least it has one top notch game, Zelda, to hold me off until Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy comes out.

Some one pulled out a gun in a local store and stole 4 PS3s. Wow!, just Wow! Xbox 360 release wasn't this bad, it went really smooth.

It was good news there for a little while, when PS1 games were five bucks a pop and you were changin' out that hard drive and still retaining your warranty - big, generous moves that asked hard questions of their primary competitor. Just days later, it's weird rumor after dark rumbling after grim report.

The cruelest speculation is that the launch figure is something like half of what was promised - 150,000 to 200,000 units, says one analyst. I am not an analyst, but when I scour the launch list for a reason to wait outside for days in a fucking line, no klaxons sound and no lights begin to blink or flash. Motorstorm and Lair - the games that really sold people the system at this year's Tokyo Game Show - are nowhere to be seen. There are, of course, those distant ultrabrands - the ones that start with Metal and Final - but buying a system at today's prices, under today's conditions is on that basis is... unwise. Unwise is the diplomatic word I have chosen.

The launch is full of... Well, Launch Titles. It sounds like Insomniac did what Insomniac does - deliver spit-polished hits. Past that, you've got Genji (rank), Untold Legends (just... no) and Gundam (daemonic). Everything else is something that

(a) already came out, and

(B) most likely runs better or has more features on existing equipment. Seriously, read the reviews.

This is beyond insulting. This is beyond ridiculous. It is farcical.

With the Playstation 2, we ascribed the spotty launch supply to monstrous intent. We were young men, though, and young men often feel the weight of unaccountable oppressors bearing down on them. Speaking today, it seems clear to me that Sony would not want to launch under these conditions if they had any choice in the matter. Not with this anemic supply, now reaped by speculators. Not with these titles. But they have done it, singing all the while, making a stupid pageant of the whole affair with their petty sniping. Well, you have not succeeded, not at anything laudable. You've kept young people in out in the elements for days through your ineptitude, this is true, but that is worth negapoints - a reverse scoring method exclusively for jackasses that starts at zero, and actually goes down from there.

(CW)TB out.

[/b]

Source...

20061117aq0.jpg

Back