Maddox's Newest Entry is on Sony

I love it, and the fact that Sony is so big they can offset the $1.7 billion with other divisions, such as the hug uptake of HD TV's and Tivo devices.

For any large organisation shit hits the fan, and for both of the cases quoted in the article there is a straight forward answer to why Sony sued them. Sony puts its customers first, therefore banning grey imports. If a European buys a grey import PSP from Japan, and they need support from Sony to fix a cracked screen or whatever, Sony Europe can't help them because their PSP will have a Japanese Serial Code, and Regional locking.

So hence anyone ordering a grey import is bypassing their rights, and basically shredding their warranty, and guarantee.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Nov 15 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]133069[/snapback][/center]
I was wondering if you saw that. Didn't want to post it in fear of another console war.
[/b]

Am sure you understand Fluffy, but grey imports are bad for consumers not just the company itself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Nov 15 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]133070[/snapback][/center]
Am sure you understand Fluffy, but grey imports are bad for consumers not just the company itself.
[/b]

Not the point. I posed the exact same arguments to Stav not that long ago (DRM, rootkits, hardware issues) and he dismissed them, but now that one of his favorite sites basically completely agreed with me, I was curious how he would react.

Most of my comments were made pre-LikSing. As for that argument, Sony has the right to sell products in the manner they see fit. If a company starts re-selling broken PS2s or whatever to other countries it makes Sony look bad. So, I can understand why Sony did do what they did...as ugly as it was.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Nov 15 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]133076[/snapback][/center]
Not the point. I posed the exact same arguments to Stav not that long ago (DRM, rootkits, hardware issues) and he dismissed them, but now that one of his favorite sites basically completely agreed with me, I was curious how he would react.

Most of my comments were made pre-LikSing. As for that argument, Sony has the right to sell products in the manner they see fit. If a company starts re-selling broken PS2s or whatever to other countries it makes Sony look bad. So, I can understand why Sony did do what they did...as ugly as it was.
[/b]

With the Rootkit DRM issues, I assure you Sony is not the only company that does it. Microsoft Windows is probally one of the biggest sieves in the world, and the amount of information Microsoft gets from Windows users outways Sony problems anyway.

BTW, I stand by the Sony guy who said something like " If they don't know what it is it can't hurt them, " mantra.

hell, as for this console war, i could care less any more. Fuck the PS3, fuck the Wii, and fuck the 360. I get to play them for free at school ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BananaMan @ Nov 15 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]133078[/snapback][/center]
With the Rootkit DRM issues, I assure you Sony is not the only company that does it. Microsoft Windows is probally one of the biggest sieves in the world, and the amount of information Microsoft gets from Windows users outways Sony problems anyway.

BTW, I stand by the Sony guy who said something like " If they don't know what it is it can't hurt them, " mantra.
[/b]

Oh, I know you are.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Nov 15 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]133082[/snapback][/center]
hell, as for this console war, i could care less any more. Fuck the PS3, fuck the Wii, and fuck the 360. I get to play them for free at school ;)
[/b]

Yay! You have been beaten into apathy! Woo Hoo!!!!

/dances about the area

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Nov 15 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]133105[/snapback][/center]
can you tell me what this school is? it sounds way cooler than where i am :( [/b]
DePaul University in Chicago. We have a PC game lab, a console game lab, and a game development lab....all part of our Game Development degree program :D. The comps are like fully loaded systems, there's a crapload of games available, and we are ordering a few more copies of Gears of War.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Nov 15 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]133115[/snapback][/center]
I think we're also one of the very few universities in the country with a Voice Acting program....and it's super hard to get into

oh, and you can see the labs live here:

https://defrag.depaul.edu/labs/status.php
[/b]

You should be thanking the guy who sold the Game Development Labs concept to the deans. There sure is a lot of "work" being done in that lab right now. :lol:

well, i have finals tomorrow and next week, so i won't be back there until january :p

and yeah, i've only seen one person ever in the dev lab. and that was the lab moderator lol. i don't think anyone uses that lab cause you can do all that stuff on your own comp while in class. Some of these people actually participate in WoW raids on their laptops during their classes lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Nov 15 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]133123[/snapback][/center]
well, i have finals tomorrow and next week, so i won't be back there until january :p

and yeah, i've only seen one person ever in the dev lab. and that was the lab moderator lol. i don't think anyone uses that lab cause you can do all that stuff on your own comp while in class. Some of these people actually participate in WoW raids on their laptops during their classes lol
[/b]

Oh, I was referring to the console lab where there are 3 people in there, all hard at work...........giggling and laughing

by engaging ourselves with products already out there, we gain further insight, knowledge, and ideas for the academic pursuit of gaming development :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Nov 15 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]133123[/snapback][/center]

[/b]
Heh, I have some friends going to DePaul next year. Acting program :0

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stavrose @ Nov 15 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]133126[/snapback][/center]
by engaging ourselves with products already out there, we gain further insight, knowledge, and ideas for the academic pursuit of gaming development :D
[/b]

Yep...that's probably how they sold it to the dean as well. :lol:

Back