MMORPG population charts

Fluffy

Vote Stewart/Colbert in '08!
http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2006...lation_grow.php

Main site: http://www.mmogchart.com/

Article and charts detailing the estimated population of all the major MMORPGs...first chart shows all of the big guns grouped together, which demonstrates WoW's overwhelming population, surprisingly (at least to me) it shows how many Lineage 1&2 have, didn't think it was THAT popular still

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

This chart shows the "major players" but removes the "big 3" (WoW and Lin 1, Lin 2)

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html

This final chart shows all the "minor" MMORPGs (like Planetside, Toontown, MxO)

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart3.html

Fascinating analyzing SWG's progress on the second chart...it basically showed that the game began to tank around 4th quarter '04, and not with the CU like everyone thought. Perhaps the CU was their first desperate attempt at "saving" the game once they started to see the numbers decline. Also remember what their orignal press said about the NGE being in development for 12 months, well that puts it's start right at the point in time where the decrease first began...hmmmmmmmmmmm.

My only issue with these charts is that it stops 2nd quarter last year. I would have loved to have seen the #'s for the last three quarters...

would it be worth bearing in mind that some people buy like a years subscription and that after the CU hit some people were already paid up for a few months? just a question - not a flame hehe

Oh, and here is the guy's site:

http://www.mmogchart.com/

Forgot to post that the first time!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Apr 18 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]71711[/snapback][/center]
My only issue with these charts is that it stops 2nd quarter last year. I would have loved to have seen the #'s for the last three quarters...
[/b]

Data goes up to approxiametly Janurary.

As quoted from the site.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PrOdiGy @ Apr 18 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]71713[/snapback][/center]
would it be worth bearing in mind that some people buy like a years subscription and that after the CU hit some people were already paid up for a few months? just a question - not a flame hehe
[/b]

True, but if you see the subscriptions stabalize after the CU, the big decline started in and around August/Sept '04.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 18 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]71716[/snapback][/center]
Oh, and here is the guy's site:

http://www.mmogchart.com/
Forgot to post that the first time!
Data goes up to approxiametly Janurary.

As quoted from the site.
[/b]

Exept most of the data runs out in July. I've made charts like these for other companies and I know how to manipulate the data.

Like I said, it is still definately interesting to see the history of MMO's and their subscriber #'s. I had no idea Linneage and Linneage 2 were nearly that popular.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 18 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]71709[/snapback][/center]
attempt at "saving" the game once they started to see the numbers decline. Also remember what their orignal press said about the NGE being in development for 12 months, well that puts it's start right at the point in time where the decrease first began...hmmmmmmmmmmm.
[/b]
</whistles innocently>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiveria @ Apr 18 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]71717[/snapback][/center]
Exept most of the data runs out in July. I've made charts like these for other companies and I know how to manipulate the data.

Like I said, it is still definately interesting to see the history of MMO's and their subscriber #'s. I had no idea Linneage and Linneage 2 were nearly that popular.
[/b]

I think the best way to put it is that the data for the major players is up to almost Janurary and the data on the smaller guys is up to July.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 18 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]71720[/snapback][/center]
I think the best way to put it is that the data for the major players is up to almost Janurary and the data on the smaller guys is up to July.
[/b]

I know, I'm a pain in the ass. It can't be helped.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 18 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]71723[/snapback][/center]
Another fascinating chart:

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart4.html

This shows the total population of ALL games. It is almost a perfect exponetial graph.
R^2 = 0.9885 (where as a perfect one would be R^2 = 1.0000)
And of course the Market Share chart per genre

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart8.html

Yeah, folks love fantasy games...wow.
[/b]

I dont know if folks love them or that they are the best ones. What if someone made a Sci-fi as good as WOW?

I can't put too much stock into that chart. SWG remains pretty constant, ranging between 300k to 275k and then 250k. I just don't think the guy has good enough data to accurately predict or indicate a 25,000 person swing. And his prediction will always lag a little.

What's really needed is the real numbers. I'd kill to see those. Of course SOE would never give them out, but I'd love to see a month by month cancellation chart.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(reek @ Apr 18 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]71740[/snapback][/center]
I can't put too much stock into that chart. SWG remains pretty constant, ranging between 300k to 275k and then 250k. I just don't think the guy has good enough data to accurately predict or indicate a 25,000 person swing. And his prediction will always lag a little.

What's really needed is the real numbers. I'd kill to see those. Of course SOE would never give them out, but I'd love to see a month by month cancellation chart.
[/b]
A lot of people left when CU hit. That happened in all servers. Remember a lot of people began to say that the servers were like ghost towns. But eventually a lot of people went back with time. CU wasn't so bad, since it's exactly the same as EQ2 is (or was at that time). When the NGE hit, that was a mass exodus. There were a lot more cancellations that when CU hit, remember the scare that Devs got with the quantity? Just tell me you guys that still play, how do the cities and friendslist look when you log on at peak time. For a few, those more open like Tiv their lists will always have a ton of people, but for most is empty.
Talking with people that still play in Bria that I met when Wanderhome was down, they used to have very bad lag issues because the server had A LOT of people. Sometimes the lag was unbearable. Now they say, the lag is bearable. There is lag, but not as much as before. A lot of people say it's more laggy because of NGE, so what does that tells you?
They didn't put EVE in there, it reached 100k pop 2 months ago and continues to grow steadily. Also if you go to FFXI's page they got to 1 million pop not long ago, they added 5 more servers. (I was contemplating joining again :p But not now.)

Oh yeah, forgot to put... ...My 2 cents :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Apr 18 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]71747[/snapback][/center]
A lot of people left when CU hit. That happened in all servers. Remember a lot of people began to say that the servers were like ghost towns. But eventually a lot of people went back with time. CU wasn't so bad, since it's exactly the same as EQ2 is (or was at that time). When the NGE hit, that was a mass exodus. There were a lot more cancellations that when CU hit, remember the scare that Devs got with the quantity? Just tell me you guys that still play, how do the cities and friendslist look when you log on at peak time. For a few, those more open like Tiv their lists will always have a ton of people, but for most is empty.
Talking with people that still play in Bria that I met when Wanderhome was down, they used to have very bad lag issues because the server had A LOT of people. Sometimes the lag was unbearable. Now they say, the lag is bearable. There is lag, but not as much as before. A lot of people say it's more laggy because of NGE, so what does that tells you?
They didn't put EVE in there, it reached 100k pop 2 months ago and continues to grow steadily. Also if you go to FFXI's page they got to 1 million pop not long ago, they added 5 more servers. (I was contemplating joining again :p But not now.)

Oh yeah, forgot to put... ...My 2 cents :D
[/b]

Yes they did, chart #3.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 18 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]71754[/snapback][/center]
Yes they did, chart #3.
[/b]
It's missing 26k.
They have over 100k by now :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artica @ Apr 18 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]71757[/snapback][/center]
It's missing 26k.
They have over 100k by now :p
[/b]

Yeah, maybe now, but the numbers go up to late '05. And they do show EVE growing quite rapidly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 18 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]71759[/snapback][/center]
Yeah, maybe now, but the numbers go up to late '05. And they do show EVE growing quite rapidly.
[/b]
Well they are somewhat outdated :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffy @ Apr 18 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]71759[/snapback][/center]
[/b]
EVE is growing steadily, not to mention it had #1 in the MMORPG page :p
#1 rating. :p

What I think is funny is Runescape is still getting more subscribers. I would've thought they'd tank like 5 years ago - when I played for a couple months and realized just how crappy it was.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darein @ Apr 18 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]71766[/snapback][/center]
What I think is funny is Runescape is still getting more subscribers. I would've thought they'd tank like 5 years ago - when I played for a couple months and realized just how crappy it was.
[/b]
The first everquest still got a lot of people, and it has been running for ages, and with expansions still in the makings.

I know we all hate to hear this, but SWG will stay for a long time. People continue to endorse it, just look at those that wont go no matter what, well they are not the only ones. Maybe they will end up merging servers, they could do that now, but they will lose people there. And I don't think it will grow more than it is now, it may stay like that for several years. No matter what they do, either they rollback or make something different, it will never have more than 300k people.

they need to update those charts. this info is useless. and you're useless too fluffy. USELESS. WITHOUT USE!

Back